The Department Store Museum: The Museum Bookshop

This is my week for finding great things online.  I was conducting a bit of family research -- and I recalled that a lost family member had a thriving store in upstate New York whose name was unknown to me.  One google led to another, until I came upon this little blog.  Sure enough, I found myself captivated by all the lost stores that I loved as a child -- and others that I'd never known, but surely captivated other girls and their mothers.   Buying that navy coat used to a yearly ritual when I was a girl, long before the puffer jacket days.  I still remember getting my hair curled at New York's Peck and Peck, eating tea sandwiches at Lord and Taylor, and window-shopping at Christmas-time.    

It's a virtual history of the country's wonderful departments stores, many of which were founded by Polish, German and Jewish immigrants. Even better, the site has a terrific bookstore where you can find gems like a history of Wanamakers in Philadelphia, which is soon to be on my gift list.  The Department Store Museum: The Museum Bookshop:

'via Blog this'

1 comment:

Mary Barbara Alfaro said...

Just reading Peck and Peck and Lord and Taylor brought back wonderful memories of yes, shopping in New York with my mother or with girlfriends. The Department Store Museum site is a great find. Thanks for posting it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...