Author Dianne Harman Recommends: Political Satires

As part of a series of recommendations from authors, we’re hearing from Dianne Harman who has published a novel Tea Party Teddy, available on Amazon.    


First, a little background on Dianne: 
I wrote Tea Party Teddy when I was in
Sacramento, California where my husband was a State Senator. It’s a political satire and after entertaining Governors, Congressmen, and just about everyone else associated with politics in California, the political satirical muse demanded that it be written. Although it’s fiction, after twelve years in that environment, composites of events and people are certainly highlighted!


Introduction:  
My list is books that I’ve enjoyed over the years and that have made me think. Certainly, they verge a bit on social satire as well. Here’s my list of books that should be on everyone’s list of political (and often social) satire.


 Animal Farm by George Orwell
 It’s a short read, published in 1946 and I probably read it in the ‘70’s. Obviously it stayed with me. It’s a fable about a workers’ revolution gone wrong.


A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
It was published in 1963 and became a cult classic. I’m sure many of the readers saw the movie by Stanley Kubrick. It’s a nightmare vision of the future where criminals take over after dark.  In some places in the the world, this has come true.


Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk  
A juxtaposition of white collar workers during the week, failed lives, and how they think they’re coping with life by fighting on the weekends. It speaks to revenge on a consumer oriented society.







Catch 22 by Joseph Heller
Come on, tell me you never used those words for a no-win situation. I still do. And Yossarian? If you’ve read it, you can’t forget him. It’s been many, many years, but I still use the phrase “catch 22.” It speaks to the brutal insanity of war. Might be a good time to read it or revisit it given what’s going on in the world at present.


This is new, within the last year or so and, I think, brilliant. A bit more of social satire than political satire. It’s just a few short pages, but it’s a wonderful read. This is a contemporary author who, I think, is one of the best around.


If you’re in the mood for a fun, social satire, my friend Duncan Whitehead has written a wonderful book, The Gordonston Ladies Dog Walking Club, which is set in Savannah. It was the winner of the 2013 Reader’s Favorite International Book Award and Gold Medalist.


Thanks for having me and I hope you enjoy these books!


You can find Dianne online here:


Website: http://dianneharman.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AuthorDianneHarman
Twitter: @DianneDHarman

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...