Every year (or not) I set my goals and resolutions for the New Year, so since who among us can resist the appeal of the New? This year, I'm in a contrary mood.
So, here are 5 Things I won't Do in 2016 (or perhaps ever.)
1. I won't write 50,000 thousand words in a month or complete a novel in that time. Last time I checked, there is no novel famine, and writers should feel free to take as long as they like.
2. I will not read any celebrity memoirs about drug addiction, sex addiction, gambling addictions or alcoholism. I wish all addicts a swift recovery, ideally without an accompanying memoir.
3. I will not read any self-help books, whether about dieting, exercise or spiritual growth. In fact, I will not grow spiritually, in all probability, although I will, with any luck, grow older.
4. I will not watch cable news. Ditto broadcast news. Whether about Trump or Cruz, Clinton or Sanders, it's bound to be very loud. Along with this moratorium, I will not read tell-all memoirs from cabinet refugees or former generals.
5. I will not engage in social media discussions about this election, last election or any elections. Let the American public vote as it likes without my nagging-- and if they're desperate for a vicious fight, they can turn to cable news.
6 -- This one's a bonus. I will not blog about my "journey" to publishing my newly completed novel. I hope that only I am interested in this particular voyage, but that future readers might be interested in the book.